The LA Phil is thrilled to present the West Coast premiere of Björk Digital, an exhibition of groundbreaking VR video works featuring music from Björk’s latest album, Vulnicura. May 19-June 4 at Magic Box at the Reef in Los Angeles.
A pioneer in music, art, and technology, Björk has worked with a collection of world-renowned directors, programmers, and visual artists to create a series of innovative virtual reality works displayed throughout a series of rooms. Björk Digital will invite guests to experience these immersive works through the latest in virtual reality technology.
The Björk Digital exhibition is a series of experiences: This begins with six VR experiences where users are transported with custom headsets; then, the Biophilia room, a hands-on educational space which showcases Björk’s innovative apps and custom-made musical instruments, encouraging users to dive into an exploration of musicology, science and technology; and finally, the Cinema room, a curated program of Björk’s extensive and groundbreaking music videos spanning her career thus far, remastered for a unique exhibition cinema experience. Included will be videos directed by Michel Gondry, Spike Jonze, Alexander McQueen, and many more.
The VR experiences will include:
- Stonemilker VR – Filmed on a remote beach location in Iceland and directed by Andrew Thomas Huang, Stonemilker VR presents Björk in a windswept 360-degree film performing the first track from Vulnicura.
- Black Lake VR – Commissioned by the Museum of Modern Art, New York, Black Lake VR features a custom-built immersive space featuring a bespoke, cutting-edge surround sound set up to create an immersive and visceral virtual reality experience. Filmed in the highlands of Iceland, the video was directed by Andrew Thomas Huang.
- Quicksand VR – Featuring a 3-D printed headpiece by Neri Oxman, Quicksand VR captures Björk’s live performance at Miraikan, Tokyo, in augmented virtual reality. The work was created in close collaboration with Dentsu Lab Tokyo.
- Mouthmantra VR – Directed by Jesse Kanda, Mouthmantra VR transports the viewer to the inside of Björk’s mouth for an intense and intimate experience as she sings the video’s title track.
- Family VR – Directed by Andrew Thomas Huang with co-creative direction by Björk and James Merry, Family is the centerpiece in the VR anthology for Vulnicura, encapsulating the full emotional arc of Björk’s journey from despair to empowerment.
- Notget VR – Notget VR, directed by Warren du Prees and Nick Thornton Jones, presents Björk as a stunning digital moth giantess transformed by masks created by James Merry.
Runs May 19-June 4
MAGIC BOX AT THE REEF
1933 S. BROADWAY, LOS ANGELES
For ticket information : http://bit.ly/2lDlC42_BjorkDigital