The LA Waterfront will be bustling and buzzing with activity this upcoming Labor Day Weekend, as Southern California’s new end-of-summer tradition—LA Fleet Week® 2019—officially gets underway. Starting Thursday, Aug. 29 through Labor Day Sept. 2, the free public event celebrating the U.S. Sea Services is expected to draw hundreds of thousands of visitors to the LA Waterfront.
Today, event organizers released the official schedule of events for the multi-day celebration. Highlights this year include:
- Welcome Party – In honor of visiting U.S. Sea Service members arriving on U.S. Navy, Coast Guard and Marine Corps ships, a Welcome Party kicks off LA Fleet Week on Thursday, Aug. 29. Sponsored by the San Pedro Business Improvement District, the Welcome Party will be held at 398 W. 6th Street in downtown San Pedro starting at
6:30 p.m. and is open to the public. Visitors can also enjoy a complimentary public screening Thursday night of the fighter pilot blockbuster classic Top Gun, made possible through Paramount Studios and FilmLA. The film will be shown from 9:00 -11:00 p.m. at the Historic Warner Grand Theatre in downtown San Pedro.
- Concerts and Entertainment – Friday night begins a weekend of great live entertainment, when world-famous Cheap Trick takes the event’s Main Stage for a Military Appreciation Concert, sponsored by the Annenberg Foundation. Local San Pedro band Wingtips will warm up the show with its 50/60s vintage sound. Saturday night’s entertainment, sponsored by Bob Hope USO, features The Record Company, a Grammy nominated American rock band from Los Angeles, California, along with a lineup including Fast Times the original 80’s tribute cover band, and Soul Sacrifice, a tribute to the legendary sound of Carlos Santana. Headlining Sunday night’s concert will be DJ Miss Ninja, who will spin everything from Top 40, Hip Hop, Disco to Classic Rock, as well as multi-award winning country music entertainer and recording artist, Brent Payne. All entertainment throughout the four-day LA Fleet Week event is free to the public, but capacity is limited, so guests are encouraged to arrive early to secure a spot.
- Public Military Ship Tours – Get an up-close and personal tour of an active U.S. Navy, Coast Guard or Marine Corps vessel. Learn about the ship’s history and what daily life and work is like on an active military ship. Tours will be conducted daily from 8:30 a.m.-3:00 p.m., Aug. 30-Sept. 2, on a first-come, first-served basis until capacity is reached. No advanced registration or tickets are required. Closed-toed shoes for ship tours are required. (no sandals or flip flops).
- Navy Leap Frogs and Aerial Demonstrations – New this year will be spectacular daily jumps into the event (weather permitting) by high-flying U.S. Navy Leap Frogs, the official parachute team of the U.S. Navy and its Naval Special Warfare Command. Dozens of aerial demonstrations by U.S. Navy fighter jets, U.S. Coast Guard Search & Rescue (SAR) teams and other military and first-responder aircraft will take place daily between 10:00 a.m.-
- Lively Competitions – An all-new, high-intensity Obstacle Course Competition, sponsored by USAA, is sure to be a crowd favorite. Two-person teams will compete each day between 11:00 a.m.–3:00 p.m. in a timed, challenging obstacle course race, with the fastest teams advancing to the competition’s Labor Day finale. Signups are open to the public and currently underway. Each day of LA Fleet Week, dozens of student teams will also compete in the STEM Expo presented by The Boeing Company, featuring the Battleship Blast High School Robotics Competition.
- Special Military Honor – On Friday, Aug. 30 at 7:15 p.m. on the event’s Main Stage, presenting sponsor, Wells Fargo, along with Chevrolet of Montebello, will award a payment-free vehicle to the Military Warriors Support Foundation for use in its Transportation4Heroes program. The Foundation will be honoring Purple Heart recipient and decorated veteran Carlos Perez, a former U.S. Army Sergeant wounded during a tour in Iraq.
- Displays & Attractions – The STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering & Math) Expo presented by The Boeing Company, featuring the Battleship Blast High School Robotics Competition will feature interactive displays and hands-on activities geared toward middle and high school students interested in STEM-related careers. LA Fleet Week will also offer a Veteran’s Village, where various veteran service organizations will provide information, services and hospitality to veterans and their families. The nearby Military Village will feature historic and modern military vehicle and equipment displays and demonstrations.
- Celebrity Meet & Greet – Celebrity Chef Robert Irvine will be at this year’s LA Fleet Week on Sunday, September 1st! Join us for a special meet & greet with Chef Irvine from 10:00am to 11:00am, stay to watch him judge Galley Wars presented by Princess Cruises, and then participate in a Q&A on Leading the Food & Restaurant Industry through Technology. Chef Robert Irvine’s participation in LA Fleet Week 2019 is sponsored by Comcast Business & Comcast’s Military & Veterans Affairs.
All public activities will take place next to the Battleship IOWA Museum at the LA Waterfront at the Port of Los Angeles. For specific directions, use 100 Swinford Street, San Pedro, CA or 250 S. Harbor Blvd, San Pedro, CA. Because the event footprint is extensive and outdoors, sunscreen and hats are recommended.
For a full list of all LA Fleet Week activities, events and sponsors, go to LAFleetWeek.com.